Monday, August 3, 2009

Question: How is it possible for one to be surrounded by 10 very animated people and feel completely alone and isolated?
Answer: They're all speaking french, or a local language and you KNOW they're talking about you.

We arrived at our host families' houses Wednesday night. All of us, who had spent the last 6 days and nights together, scattered about the bustling city of Porto Novo. No cell phones to call and say "this sucks" or AIM/ICHAT to IM and say "save me." For that matter; we didn't even know where any other volunteer was living. I got to my host family's house and realized that my experience would be akin to something like a duckling learning how to swim: not quite drowning, not exactly swimming but doing something in between the two; mouth filled with water, can't exactly catch my breath, all the while wishing to be back on land. C'etait trés, trés emotionale!
"Assiette-toi," my host-mama commanded (equates to plate yourself) and for 2 hours I was asked all sorts of questions in frightening speed by 5 adults. Really, the only word I uttered was "quoi?"
Of course, there is progression.
á la prochaine!
NOTICE THE CARE PACKAGE SECTION TO THE RIGHT!

1 comment:

The Anglophile said...

So you ask for smores supplies but then say no chocolate. The chocolate is a key smore ingredient my friend.