Saturday, December 12, 2009

Baking in Benin










Many things are different here in Benin, mostly because it's a third world country; travel, daily experiences, people, non-paved roads--you know, the nuances. It should be no suprise then that food is vastly different. The Beninese have all the same ingredients we do (minus a few vegetables) but they crazily different things with them. For example, pate (pronounced pot) a staple of the Beninese diet. It's base is corn. The Beninese grind corn into a powder, add water, then reduce it to a pasty white substance that looks like paper mache. L'igname pile (prounounced Yam Pee-lay). Mashed yams with added water to make a sticky pasty substance like pate but tastes better. Both of these things are time consuming to make and offer no nutritional value.
So, cooking has become a sort of adventure (like traveling). I get to create all different kinds of sauces for pasta or rice and baking has become an endevour. I like baking. In the States, I baked all the time--mostly for Rob--because I thought it was fun. And, believe it or not, decent baking can be done in the third world. I live in the mountains, don't have a working stove, and can't use any fresh butter--the odds are against any aspiring baker. But like I said, it can be done.
All this to say, I made a pound cake in my Dutch oven and it's bomb (extremely good). A Dutch oven here is the large pot with two cans in the bottom you see. You place the dish on the cans, cover and let it cook. I forgot to take a "this is the finished product picture," but it came out perfect; golden brown, moist, sweet, and soo good. I put Hershey's special dark chocolate chips in the batter, they all sank to the bottom and created a layer of chocolate--oh boy.
At thanksgiving I managed to make 2 pumpkin pies, apple tart, and a pumpkin custard that everyone loved. I'm excited for Christmas. At some point I can post recipes but not now, this blog is already too long :)
Bon appetit!

2 comments:

The Anglophile said...

Love it babe. Can't wait for the recipes and more food pics. I think there's a hole in the market for a 3rd world foodie blog. Love u!!

D, Lyons said...

Was waiting on your next post, was excited to see it! Your cake making was very entertaining and informative.(where there is a will there is a way, adage) I was so touched on your feelings and thoughts of showing the students Planet Earth and their reactions. Doesn't it make a world of difference when children thirst to learn. I'm so happy you got to expereince that feeling. Not that it happens much at SHHS. LOL You are where you are suppose to be, doing what you are suppose to be doing. Take care of yourself, luv ya! Hit me up at: lyonsden319@yahoo.com