Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Free-Range Food isn't Always a Plus

A while ago, I got a fence made of dried grass put around the front area of my house. It's really nice for privacy and (shh) sleeping outside during this time of year, the hottest time of the year, when the electricity is cut.
I had Robert, and his mother--thanks Phyllis!--send sunflower seeds, cosmo seeds, morning glory seeds, and scarlet runner bean seeds so that I can start a garden. My plan is to use the morning glory to cover my fence, plant the cosmos in front of my porch and along side of my house, and to have the far end of my front area covered in sunflowers!
I recently planted the sunflower seeds and taught a boy who lives next door how to water them for the times when I'm away from post.
I was away from post for a week and when I came back I was excited to see that one of the sunflower seeds had sprouted!! I asked the boy what happened to the rest of the seeds and he explained that the chickens that roam around my house got into my yard and ate the sapplings!
UUGGHH I HATE CHICKENS!
This is not the first time they've done this. I had wild cosmos growing in my yard and they'd sneak in during the dead of night and eat the newly budding flowers.
My sister witnessed the extent to which I despise chickens. I literally go insane. I pick up a broom and run at the chickens, swinging madly, screaming obsenities. My goal is usually to whack one full force in mid-air. One time I was almost successful but I missed the chicken by just a few centimeters.
So, I replanted the sunflower seeds. Thankfully, I only planted half just in case they didn't sprout. The soil is very poor. This time, I told the neighbor boy to guard my yard against chickens. If they destroy these sapplings I will literally kill every chicken in my village and have a big chicken feast. Fried chicken, chicken stew, chicken pot pie, chicken tenders, baked chicken, the list goes on and on.
Little do the chickens know that I may be getting a puppy soon. If I do, I will train him to chase and kill chickens :) Problem solved.
I will post pictures of sapplings if they survive. Pray for my sapplings...and for the lives of those chickens.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Clayton,

I wanted to let you know about a new travel guide for Benin, written and researched by two RPCVs. It's part of a series of travel guides written/researched by RPCVs. You can find out more about the project at www.otherplacespublishing.com. Feel free to shoot me an email at cbeale@otherplacespublishing.com. We'd love to have you take a look at the book (being a PCV in Benin and all). Thanks and hope to hear form you soon.

Chris Beale, Other Places Publishing, RPCV Eastern Caribbean 2005-2007

Unknown said...

Beware Morning Glory! Otherwise known as bindweed. Extremely Invasive!
DAVE RPCV Boukombe 92-94

Debra SB said...

Hey Clay
I am such a novice. Was thinking about you and glad to see that your sister visited for two-weeks. I am sure the experience was just awesome for both. I'm not sure if I ask this before, but could you send me a brief blur on how your Corps experience (if at all) as helped with this experience. In addition, you will be receiving a survey from Stanford U via your LVC email adddress. I am so happy that you are giving your knowledge and expertise to the Benin people. This is great and it's good to know that I know some one like you. Peace and I promise to write more often. By the way 22 of the 24 students that you helped to get into college returned for their second year. Of which 4 of the 6 are still at LVC. Thanks, for doing a great job for the program Until the next entry Be blessed. Debra

Erin said...

Chickens eat trash.