Wednesday, April 7, 2010

I Took the African Gamble....

and lost. On to other things...
My sister visited me for 2 weeks.
When she first visited I was finishing up in the med unit so we didn't do much. We spent a few days at the workstation (where I got sick from eating a bad salad) and then at my post. Post was boring for her but awesome for me to have her there. We didn't do too much, as there isn't that much to do in village but Chanda got to experience a small sampling of my daily life. This included sitting around in the heat, and doing her own laundry (pictures to follow)!
That weekend, we headed down to GAD weekend. GAD weekend is comprised of a night of date auctioning and a formal dinner and dancing to support small projects for Gender And Development. We had a beautiful dress made for Chanda from traditional tissu! Everyone loved it, but she thought it made her look like a big kid.
The first night, the date auction, was hilarious. Chanda got drunk and bid (and won) on almost every date. Of course the volunteers who work for GAD love her (and I love her because she I get to enjoy all the lovely dates she bought for me). I'll be getting a tea party, a sleep over, a foot massage, and a full course chinese dinner complete with night looking at the stars from a watch tower. WOO!!
The second night was fun too, mostly consisted of being thrown in a swimming pool, fun dancing, and more bidding and winning of art and jewelry.
We headed back to post and just chilled for the rest of the week. Chanda, who was going crazy, helped me fixed my fence and plant sunflower seeds to start my garden! Because I knew I'd be away from post a lot in the next few weeks, I taught the neighbor boy how to water them daily. I'm so excited to see sunflower saplings (pictures to come)!
We ended with a day at the beach complete with nude men. It was a fun time and I miss her!
I'm so ready for Rob to be here now that I've had practice with my sister, I'll feel like a professional Peace Corps Volunteer host.
Also, I found out that (even though her work is more dangerous) she's spoiled!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooooh. Ok. As I read that blog I was concerned for a hot second about your sister winning dates for you! But I get it now. Good for her supporting the project (and your relaxation)!

And I am looking forward to my visit, too. :-)

Rob